Rieccoci al tema del MURO. La notizia compare sui giornali italiani (La Repubblica) e stranieri (Reuters.com)
Ora la domanda è (si accettano scommesse):
1. il muro verrà spostato
2. se sì quando, e dove?
3. chi pagherà per la demolizione del vecchio muro e l'edificazione del nuovo?
Ancora su MURO leggiamo l'interessante
Palestinian ministers and businessmen accused of profiting from Israel's wall
AM - Wednesday, 30 June , 2004 08:30:00
Reporter: Mark Willacy
TONY EASTLEY: Across parts of the West Bank a giant concrete barrier separates Israelis from Palestinians. The eight-metre high wall is designed to stop suicide bombers and other terrorists infiltrating into Israeli population centres.
While ordinary Palestinians protest against Israel's controversial wall, allegations are being made that Palestinian ministers and businessmen are profiting from the fence.
AM has been told by one Palestinian MP that at least two ministers, and possibly the Palestinian Prime Minister himself, are involved in importing cement which is then being used by Israeli contractors to build the barrier.
Middle East correspondent Mark Willacy reports from Jerusalem.
MARK WILLACY: Enraged by what they see as an apartheid wall cutting through their land, thousands of Palestinians have joined the wave of protest against Israel's West Bank security barrier.
Dozens have been hurt by rubber bullets and tear gas, while several have been killed by live rounds fired by Israeli soldiers. But as ordinary Palestinians demonstrate against the fence, there are allegations that some of their leaders are profiting from it.
Hasan Khreisheh is a Palestinian MP and the Deputy Speaker of the Parliament.
HASAN KHREISHEH (translated): What we are talking about are Palestinian companies importing cement from Egypt, which is used in the wall. And they couldn't do this without the protection of Palestinian ministers, starting with the Economy Minister Maher el-Masri and the Prime Minister Ahmed Qurie, and finishing with President Yasser Arafat.
MARK WILLACY: Earlier this month a Palestinian Parliamentary committee found that some Palestinian companies were importing cement from Egypt on behalf of the Israeli contractors building the barrier. The committee's report also disclosed that senior Palestinian Authority officials and ministers were involved in the scam.
Adli Sadek is a prominent Palestinian journalist based in Gaza who's been investigating the story. He has obtained a copy of a letter written by the committee to Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.
ADLI SADEK (translated): What is written in this message to Arafat is that the committee discovered that the Economy Minister, Mr el-Masri, had signed a paper giving himself permission to import cement from Egypt.
MARK WILLACY: Adli Sadek says 400,000 tonnes of the Egyptian cement was then sold to the Israeli contractors for construction of the security barrier.
The Gaza journalist also wants the Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurie investigated over the cement deal. Why? Because Mr Qurie's family owns a company called Al-Quds Cement.
ADLI SADEK (translated): There is a lot of talk about a big role for this company in building the wall. Personally, I believe that Mr Qurie's company is involved in this. A lot of Palestinians – myself included – are investigating this issue.
MARK WILLACY: The Palestinian Prime Minister and his economy spokesman both deny any involvement in importing the cement. But that hasn't convinced ordinary Palestinians. Last weekend dozens of people protested outside a parliamentary office in Bethlehem, demanding those importing the cement for the barrier, be punished.
Palestinian MP Hasan Khreisheh says a privileged minority are profiting from the misery of the majority.
HASAN KHREISHEH (translated): I can tell you that if any ordinary Palestinian was involved in helping to build this barrier the Palestinian Authority would arrest him and his family. But who is going to investigate these ministers and the owners of the companies?
MARK WILLACY: The parliamentary committee's report on the cement scandal has now been passed on to the Palestinian Attorney-General. But he says he's not been asked to launch any criminal investigation.
This is Mark Willacy in Jerusalem for AM.